Monday, June 11, 2012

30 Days of Games Challenge: Day One- First Video Game


First off I would like to say, I wrote this blog waaaay back on Friday and thought that I had posted it.  Apparently I just hit “save” instead of “publish”…go me.  As for the rest of the posts that should have been posted for my 30 day challenge?  Well, I guess I am failsauce at 30 day challenges.  I promise to try to do better!!  Now, without further delay, Day 1 of the 30 Days of Games Challenge: My First Video Game!

Day one of my challenge was supposed to be the first game I ever played.  I decided that I would instead not only talk about the first game I ever played, but also the first game I ever completed.  

Nearly twenty five years ago when I was just the ripe age of five years old, I went to my Aunt's house for a little visit with my mom.  When we got there she was bubbling with excitement over her new “toy” that she just had to show us. 

She brought us over to her tv, and in my little five year old hands she placed a plastic gun with a long cord which was connected to a grey box on the floor.  She gently helped me point the gun at the tv, “Shoot the ducks!”

I wasn’t exactly sure what she was talking about but was curious so I took aim and began shooting away at the first bird that popped it’s head out from behind the bush.  I missed it, of course and actually tried to shoot the cheeky pup that was on the screen laughing at me.  That game, of course, was “Duck Hunt” on the NES.

After that day, video games were mostly just a special treat.  Something I’d get to play on the rare occasion that I was at my Aunt’s house or visiting a friend who was lucky enough to have a gaming system of their own.  That was until I was around twelve or thirteen years old, that is when my dad bought me an SNES for Christmas, along with a copy of “Aladdin”.

I instantly fell in love with that game and literally spent months of my life figuring out the easiest way to get through the different levels.  I was a girl on a mission, I was going to beat that game. 

It took me nearly five months of trial, error, and frustration till I finally did it.  That little “street rat” bounced off the top of Jafar’s snakey head and I got the little “death scene” and I was elated.  I immediately called all of my friends, bragged to my brother, and I’m pretty sure I did a happy dance.  And to be honest, to this day when I beat a new game…I still do that same dance.  Guess some things never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment